Posted to uk.d-i-y
tony sayer tony sayer is offline

Default Cat5 - Shielded or not

In article , Roy
Brophy scribeth thus
I am running a Cat 5 cable close to a 6mm SWA cable over a 15M run.

Is it worth using shielded Cat 5?

It's supplying a garden studio so there will be the occasional electric fire /
kettle kicking in and out.

Roy

If I were doing this I'd just use ordinary CAT5 cable for that length.
OK I know the "regs" have their views on CAT 5 being next to mains
cables but unless the sheathing on your SWA isn't earthed;-? It won't be
electrically any different to a water pipe in effect!.

It will be fine. We've seen and used this in many adverse applications
and really the only problems we have had are in radio field strengths at
levels you just will not get in your back yard!.

Fibre is very good stuff and we have used that over distances of around
1 KM or so and very good it is too but for this application its really
overkill.

I wouldn't worry about lightning either, we use CAT 5 on some very
elevated structures and have yet to have a problem..

And you won't have any of the problems that might beset wireless outside
in range of other peoples wireless networks....
--
Tony Sayer