Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cat5 - Shielded or not

On Thursday 06 June 2013 09:16 RzB wrote in uk.d-i-y:

All,

Many thanks for all the responses - very helpful and much food for
thought.

I think I will probably end up going the fibre route. I have never used
that before so it will be interesting and something new!

When I do it in a couple of months time I'll try to remember to post back
here with the results.

Roy

I am NOT a fibre expert (though I've used it industrially and seen it
terminated by experts).

With that proviso, this might be worth some checking on Google for reviews
etc:

http://www.ebuyer.com/268713-tp-link...rter-1000base-
sx-1000base-t-rj-45-sc-multi-mode-external-up-mc200cm

£37 each (you need 2 obviously), gigabit, short range (for fibre) - more
than what you need.

Here's the full spec:

http://uk.tp-link.com/products/detai...l=MC200CM#spec

Now - the fibre. I would suggest getting preterminated patches as
termination is fiddly and needs special tools. Just buy something longer
than you need and coil (not fold or knot!) the excess.

Protect the connector[1] when pulling through duct and do not pull by the
connector. In fact, pull very gently as it is quite easy to damage.

[1] Perhaps put the end of the cable and connectors in a 40mm long bit of
blanked off 15mm pipe/conduit and tape the pipe to the fibre with insulating
tape - and fix the pull cord to the blanked end of the pipe. You pull the
protective cover which in turn pulls the cable by the sheath. Should work
through a smooth duct. Pull the fiber last.

As to the cable - the above device needs:

1) SC terminators on both ends. These are chunky but are actually in 2
halves so you can split them and pull one back slightly to fit the pulling
cover pipe.

2) You'll need either 62.5/125um fiber for 220m range or 50/125um fiber for
500m range. Assuming the former, this will do:

http://www.netstoredirect.com/fibre-...c-fibre-patch-
cables.html?gclid=CNDLnKyPz7cCFVHItAodGA0Ang

£18 buys a 30m lead. 10m and 20m also available.

BTW - lasers are dangerous, and invisible to the eye. DO NOT go peering into
the ends of the cable or the adaptors. Having said that, these ones are not
too bad as they are low power short range. Some of the long haul ones are
pretty lethal.

To test the cable before and after pulling, have an assistant shine a torch
into one end - the other end should light up as 2 bright pinpricks of light,
similar brightness for each fibre. If the cable is broken, it is usually
fairly obvious at this stage.

HTH

Tim

Reading this on the web? See: