Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] hrhofmann@sbcglobal.net is offline

Default Sears Kenmore Model 33 dehumidifier won't turn off

On Jun 5, 5:24*pm, Tegger wrote:
The Daring Dufas wrote :

I would suggest getting someone to check the refrigerant charge. If
you take it to a shop with a feller who knows what he/she/it is doing
when it involves refrigeration and air conditioning, H/S/I could
probably tell by feel and thermometer measuring the differential
temperature of the evaporator and *condenser without having to instal
service valves for gauges. Most small units have no service
connections on the sealed system. If the unit is old, there could be a
tiny leak caused by vibration over the years. ^_^

Thanks for the suggestion. I don't think this dehumidifier lacks
refrigerant, I thought it was having trouble shutting off when it should.

A careful reading of the instructions tells me that the unit is only meant
to operate under conditions of certain intersecting temperature/humidity
vectors. Apparently if the unit is operated outside of those vectors, it
can ice up. It seemed that the unit was icing up randomly, but now I think
the icing may actually be tied to the temp/humidity level.

I didn't touch any of the parts that have refrigerant in them. I did
disassemble the clip-on de-icer unit, which was fun; I now know exactly how
it works. I'm a techy, engineery type, and such discoveries bring a happy
glow to my troubled mind.

Everything's back together again and working fine, but it's neither warm
enough nor humid enough to make the thing start running unless I crank the
dial way up there, so I need to wait for the jungle weather to commence.

--
Tegger

If the temperature sensor does open the contacts when the temp gets
down to freezing, then why were you having the original problem of the
unit not shutting off/ cycling on and off before it iced up? I'm
confused (happens more frequently the older I get)g.