Bay Area Dave

Default Maximum rip width for 3/4" red oak

you might be right about the pine allowing for curve balls.
Once I learned to throw a hook, I was "hooked".

"It measures 60 ft (plus or minus 1/2 inch) from the foul
line to the center of the number 1 pin spot. The total
length of the lane is 62 feet 10 and 3/16 inches." - Sylvia
Worth, Rules of the Game

dave

Leon wrote:

"Bay Area Dave" wrote in message

I like your analogy to a bowling alley! Perhaps he should
leave the spots off when he builds his bookshelf. oh yeah,
and omit the foul line.

"The first 12 ft of all wooden lanes is made of maple, the
next 46 feet is made of pine and the pin deck is made of
maple" - Ruth Midgley, The Rule Book.

Seems to me the whole alley should be Maple. IIRC the alley is only about
75' anyway. Maybe the pine is soft enough for the ball to finally start
gripping and do its magical curving.