Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default Bearing alternatives???

On 6/4/2013 6:07 PM, Ned Simmons wrote:
On Tue, 04 Jun 2013 10:06:48 -0500, wrote:

Now to the problem/question...

The rear end of the shaft (1" D) bearing surface turns out to be only a
3/4" width. A standard pillow block is much thicker owing to the lock
collar, etc. So, question is, anybody got an idea for an inexpensive
bearing mount to save having to have the shaft turned? Any other idears
accepted as well...

I thought Misumi would have something, but no joy. They have metric
bearings in inch-dimensioned housings, but no inch bearings. If it's
easier to make a sleeve to adapt the 1" shaft to a 30mm bearing than
it is to turn the shaft you may find something useful here.
http://us.misumi-ec.com/vona2/mech/M...0/M0806000000/

Possibly could take a 25 and work the shaft down. You have any
experience w/ these guys on pricing? I'm guessing one of these would be
about as much as the machining charge to widen the present bearing face
just looking at the site. I didn't bother them w/ a likely
wasted-effort quote.

But, is interesting to know they're there if were to have budget for a
project.