Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cat5 - Shielded or not

On 05/06/13 10:59, Martin Brown wrote:
On 05/06/2013 10:43, Roy Brophy wrote:
Martin,
Thanks for your response.

Good thought - I will give wifi a try first.

Im a bit concerned that the wifi signal will be shielded by the foil
on the Celotex insulation that will be in the walls, ceiling and floor.

Am I worrying unnecessesarily?

Provided there is a window facing about the right direction I expect
the Wifi signal will get in fine. If all else fails I have run Wifi
over distance using a simple £8 USB Wifi with detachable aerial and an
external high gain antenna. That takes a bit of setting up but has the
big advantage of no risk of lightning ground emf destroying kit.

My first (expensive) Boca dialup modem was killed by a lightning strike.

Quick way to find out is to test it with a portable and a Wifi survey.

I've lost - or been handed the kit, broken - at least three wifi
equipped routers that dies postmajor thunderstorms.

In short lightning kills anything. Its at least unlikley to destroy a
cable buried underground, even if the kit at each end goes pear shaped.

--
Ineptocracy

(in-ep-toc-ra-cy) €“ a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.