Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Smarty Smarty is offline

Default Sony SL-2700 Betamax

On 6/4/2013 12:02 PM, William Sommerwerck wrote:
"
Because the following comments are so ad-hominem, they require a
response.

Might I ask you to explain, for example, how putting a 90 degree
phase shift onto any of this audio would remove the ambiguity of
front versus back? And yes, I am aware that some but not all of the
competing matrix schemes using +/- 90 degree phase shifters in the
rear made such specious claims.

Read the patents.

When I was in graduate school and earning a bit of extra income as a
teaching assistant, I genuinely feared being asked questions in front of
a group of people by younger students and not knowing the answer. The
natural and safe way to deal with all such situations was to reply to
the inquisitive student:

"Read the textbook"

In fact, Arfa said the same thing. But you didn't attack him, because
you perceive him as an expert.

Hardly, I perceive him as a very knowledgeable repair technician with
vast experience who may or may not have the understanding of the
underlying physical details of how things work in this specific area. If
I were to ask him, or you, or others on this forum a question like:

"Why isn't a pure white raster the outcome of mis-registered set of
beams, given that it supposedly does not matter where the beams land?",
he may be as clueless as I am.

You may know how to read and quote others, but I would LOVE to hear
you explain technically how either of your hair-brained
interpretations ACTUALLY WORK from an engineering perspective. Any
legitimate engineer who knows these topics correctly could NEVER BUY
INTO THIS BULL****.

Hair-brained? You mean hare-brained.

Excellent comment!

I also am surprised you are not or were not a member of the IEEE.

One merely buys one's way into the IEEE. It is not honorary.

You don't have to be a graduate EE to join. I entered as an
undergraduate, around 1967 (which is pushing 50 years), and remember a
special issue on the Fast Fourier Transform, which was then coming
into common use.

Absolutely true, and as I mentioned in my prior reply, I too joined as a
student, quite a few years before you, and actually do remember the
'discovery' of the FFT in that same time period.