Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Smarty Smarty is offline

Default Sony SL-2700 Betamax

On 6/4/2013 9:45 AM, William Sommerwerck wrote:
To "Smarty"...

There's a difference between knowing and understanding. It's not
enough to know the facts. Understanding requires the mental effort to
"wrap your head around" a concept and make it your own. I like to say
that if you can't explain something (in relatively simple terms), you
don't really understand it yourself.

Precisely! This was the reason I asked you to explain why / how you
could make the statement that a 90 degree phase shift added to the rear
discrete audio channels in any encoder which mixes down to 2 channels,
to use your exact words, "removes ambiguity between front and back
signals". Again, to borrow your exact words, "If you can't explain
something (in relatively simple terms), you don't really understand it
yourself".

Here again are the two patents I referred to.

https://www.google.com/patents/US3632886 (click on Abstract)

https://www.google.com/patents/US397...ed=0CFMQ6AEwBA

Please at least browse them. If you have questions, ask and I will try
to answer them (though I don't have detailed knowledge of every aspect
of matrixed surround).

I am extremely familiar with Scheiber's work and resulting patent, which
I read in various stages of its submission, and have certainly more than
'browsed' Bauer's patent and several others when they were issued. I
thank you for the opportunity to ask you any questions, and will, once
again ask you the simple question:

Why did you make the statement that a 90 degree phase shift added to the
rear discrete audio channels in any encoder which mixes down to 2
channels, to use your exact words, "removes ambiguity between front and
back signals" ?

Forgive my skepticism and my continuing disrespectful tone. If we were
both automotive engineers, and you made a statement that the anti
gravity feature of your engine provided enhanced gas mileage, I would
initiate the same type of request for clarification. Those who
understand modulation theory and these specific types of surround sound
devices would never make such a statement, and I am merely asking you to
explain how such an outcome could occur.