Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ned Simmons Ned Simmons is offline

Default Bearing alternatives???

On Tue, 04 Jun 2013 10:06:48 -0500, dpb wrote:

On 5/25/2013 3:40 PM, dpb wrote:

Background...

Have old (as in late 50s/very early 60s) utility mixer that was mounted
on old Farmall 560 w/ the two-point connection system and two other
brackets around the rear axles. No longer have the 560; am adapting
mount on little JD 955 utility tractor.

Have pulled the PTO shaft from the humongous casting that was mounted to
the rear PTO cover plate on the 560 but that is far too big in outside
dimensions to fit into the area around a PTO on any even recently modern
tractor...so the plan was/is to build another support structure to mount
from the drawbar hanger and whatever else can find that is convenient
and planned on bolting just some pillow blocks to it for the
bearings/support.

Now to the problem/question...

The rear end of the shaft (1" D) bearing surface turns out to be only a
3/4" width. A standard pillow block is much thicker owing to the lock
collar, etc. So, question is, anybody got an idea for an inexpensive
bearing mount to save having to have the shaft turned? Any other idears
accepted as well...

The PTO drive end is 1-5/8" and has plenty of length to use a standard
pillow block; it's only this inboard end that needs help that I've not
got an answer for at the moment...

http://www.bearingson.com/category/p...locks_bearings
/cast_iron_pillow_block_ucp200_series/ucp_200_series
/1_pillow_block_bearings_ucp205-16.asp?page=1&SortType=0

Like similar w/ just the bearing/housing itself being thin enough to
match the bearing area available. If needs be can get it turned wider
but hoping to do this more-or-less on the cheap and I don't have
lathe/access to one other than commercial machine shops in town.

I thought Misumi would have something, but no joy. They have metric
bearings in inch-dimensioned housings, but no inch bearings. If it's
easier to make a sleeve to adapt the 1" shaft to a 30mm bearing than
it is to turn the shaft you may find something useful here.
http://us.misumi-ec.com/vona2/mech/M...0/M0806000000/

--
Ned Simmons