Posted to alt.home.repair
Retired[_2_] Retired[_2_] is offline

Default Swamp cooler problems

On 6/4/13 1:06 PM, KenK wrote:
Retired wrote in
:

On 6/3/13 12:55 PM, KenK wrote:
Retired wrote in
:

On 6/3/13 9:56 AM, KenK wrote:
Problems with swamp cooler water distribution. One of three pads
getting little water. Tried pushing a small snake through the tubes
and they seem to be clear. Evidently the water distribution hub is
plugged up. Anyone have any ideas to clear it without disassembling
the whole distribution system? Temps are well above 100 and will
get worse as time goes on. I'm 78 with back problems. Anything
other than hiring ($$$$) it done?

All I can think of is to remove the hose and screwed in connecting
tube from the hub and try to poke a wire into the troubled tubes. I
don't have much faith in that idea and it will be very difficult to
get at.

Suggestions? Probably no easy way.

TIA

Consider trying to blow the tubes/hub clear with a can of compressed
air. Office supply stores (Staples, Office Depot etc) sell them for
cleaning computers, printers, etc.

Think that will work better than the water pressure from the cooler
pump? If so, I'll try it.

I was thinking that if the normal flow and pressure is not clearing
the blockage, you need something to reverse the pressure and flow.

Perhaps you could try "reverse blowing" the lines and hub with water
pressure from a garden hose. Might be a bit messy !

That's an interesting idea. Could well work. But have to figure out how
to channel the hose outlet into that little plastic line. Duct tape
again? It'd probably come loose.

Perhaps with something like this fitting used on drip lines

http://www.homedepot.com/p/DIG-Corp-...4#.Ua5TxOvrkfo