TeamCasa

Default OT - middle ages?

Remember what happened on October 23, 1983? Ronald Reagan was the
President. They bombed the Marines and 240 good Marines were killed. What
did we do? Reagan, realizing defeat, pulled the remaining Marines out of the
Lebanese war. This coupled with the defeat of the Soviet Union in
Afghanistan demonstrated to the Bin Ladens of the world that a super power
can be defeated by small, committed groups.

We have send the message, directly and decisively that the US will not ever
again, cower to a terrorist or a government that gives aid to terrorists.
This is what I believe drives President Bush currently.

I will tell you that I do not condone torture or brutality as a means to
extract information from a prisoner or any other captive. I do support
doing what we can to trick, bribe, scare or intimidate them into providing
us with useful information.

I have a niece in the Navy and a nephew in the Marines in the gulf and on
the ground as I type. I pray daily for their safety. My nephew told me
that the local Iraqis are very grateful to the US for getting rid of Sadam
and his government. Its only a small faction of old government cronies and
zealots that continue to make trouble and the world press zeros in on them.
After the press leaves, the crowds break-up and go back to normal
activities.

As long as we have solders there, we should support them. If in hindsight,
it is determined this effort was wrong, we need to change our government by
using the democratic methods laid down by other that also gave their lives.

Dave

"Larry Blanchard" wrote in message
With this groups propensity for off-topic rantings (yes, I'm
guilty too), how come I've seen no comments about the memos
surfacing that say the president can authorize torture?

My feeling is that we're in danger of becoming what we're
fighting.

Note that our military, in general, is opposed to this because
the Geneva convention and other treaties provide protection for
our troops as well.

--
Where ARE those Iraqi WMDs?