Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Table top "ends"

On 6/4/2013 12:58 PM, Greg Guarino wrote:
For now this is just curiosity; I haven't got a specific project in mind.

If you build a table top from solid wood boards and you want to cover
the end grain with other (narrower) boards running perpendicular to the
"field" boards, how do you fasten the ends?

I think I get that you can't attach them rigidly, but how do you allow
for some play without there being obvious play? Tenons on the ends of
the main slats with extra length in the mortise on the ends? Then just
screwed in on the bottom in oversized holes?

Bread board ends.

Cut a tenon on the ends of the table, The solid bread board end piece
has a mortise to fit the tenon on the end of the table top. Typically
the end is placed on the table end and 3~5 holes are drilled through the
bread board end and through the tenon. Remove the bread board end and
elongate all but the center hole on the tenons to allow for table top
expansion and contraction. Replace the bread board end and glue dowels
in the holes. The center dowel with the tight fit will keep the end
centered. The other dowels will keep the end from coming off the table
top but will allow expansion and contraction movement.

I can provide a sletchup drawing if that will be helpful.

Seriously though properly sanded the plain end grain does not look bad
and is a lot less trouble. With the other you are always going to get
movement and at any given time the bread board end is not going to be
flush with the side of the table.