Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default Bearing alternatives???

On 6/4/2013 11:03 AM, Pete C. wrote:
dpb wrote:
On 5/25/2013 3:40 PM, dpb wrote:

Background...

....[elided for brevity]...

Now to the problem/question...

The rear end of the shaft (1" D) bearing surface turns out to be only a
3/4" width. A standard pillow block is much thicker owing to the lock
collar, etc. So, question is, anybody got an idea for an inexpensive
bearing mount to save having to have the shaft turned? Any other idears
accepted as well...

If you have 3/4" width that is good, can you not grind the rest for
clearance with an angle grinder? Center up the bearing on the precise
part?

Well, mayhaps I can...was thinking only about a continuation of mating
surface but as you note if can get the collar over and the bearing on
the clean surface that should work.

I'll have to clean up the other end enough to fit a bearing--it was just
on the PTO shaft before w/ the large casting holding the vertical load
whereas now I'll have to support that load w/ a bearing. But, it's 12"
long or so whereas the other end has a 2" OD portion of the driving
roller that fits against the shoulder of the bearing surface and that
must be where it goes--the shaft is too short for there to be enough
length for the key otherwise.