Adrian Mariano

Default upgrade drill press chuck?

Well, I haven't used it enough to get a good feel for it. I was
asking because from reading this group, it seems that lots of people
eventually end up upgrading, either because their chuck dies or
because it's somehow unacceptable. If I have an idea of what to look
for or what benefit an upgrade would offer I'll be better positioned
to decide if I should do it. I did find it very difficult to get a
1/16" drill bit positioned in the thing straight. I don't know if
this is universal for a chuck of this size, though.

So far the major annoyance is the lawyer inspired chuck key that pops
off the chuck. And while chuck keys aren't pricey, the money would be
wasted if I'm going to buy a keyless chuck in the future. I had
originally thought that keyless chucks were inherently inferior to the
keyed variety, but posts here seem to claim this isn't true. (My
dewalt corded hand drill has a keyless chuck and it slips.) But the
whole drill cost (much) less than an Albrecht. Do you really need to
use two hands to tighten/loosen a keyless chuck? Because I'd rather
use a key than deal with that. But if the chuck recommended by Jim
Wilson
http://www.penntoolco.com/catalog/pr...categoryID=310
is good, for only $34, it makes upgrading more affordable. The other
chuck people seem to recommend is the Bison chuck.

"Tom Dacon" writes:

What don't you like about the one you have?

Tom Dacon

"Adrian Mariano" wrote in message
I recently got a Grizzly drill press and am wondering whether it's
worth upgrading the chuck.

What advantages would a Jacobs chuck give me? They are rather
costly. Are they worth the price? Heavy duty or medium duty?

My machine came with a 0-5/8" chuck. It appears that if I want such a
chuck I have the choice of a 0-1/2" or a 1/8"-5/8" but there is no
0-5/8". Now I'd rather not lose the low end and I have no clue what
things anyone sells that have a shaft over 1/2". What would I be
missing out on if I put in a 1/2" chuck? (I could, of course, keep
the existing chuck in reserve.)