Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Sony SL-2700 Betamax

To "Smarty"...

I could go on for several pages, but will limit myself. I //could// sum up
this entire exchange by saying that I feel like Gus arguing with Woodrow, but
other things need saying.

Several months ago I called David Janszen (the son of the late/great Arthur
Janszen) to ask about the modeling of planar radiators. He told me that the
analysis was rather more complex than I'd imagined, and referred me to Olsen.

Did I criticize him? Did I tell he didn't know what he was talking about? No.
I got a copy of Olsen, and though I haven't had time to study the appropriate
sections, I will eventually get to it. (There's a lot of material on acoustics
I've never fully understood, so it's worth reading for that, alone.) Now...
Even if David Janszen weren't an authority in speaker design -- even if he'd
been someone I'd never even heard of -- I would have taken his response
seriously.

There's nothing wrong with assuming that "some guy you've never heard of"
might -- just might -- know something you don't know. If he doesn't, you'll
eventually find out.

There's a difference between knowing and understanding. It's not enough to
know the facts. Understanding requires the mental effort to "wrap your head
around" a concept and make it your own. I like to say that if you can't
explain something (in relatively simple terms), you don't really understand it
yourself.

Unfortunately, too many people believe what they're told -- even when it's
dead wrong -- then try to defend their beliefs against rational -- or just
common-sense -- attack. (I have engaged in some of the most appalling
arguments here and elsewhere over people's misconceptions about digital
processing. I've also learned a few things in the process.)

Here again are the two patents I referred to.

https://www.google.com/patents/US3632886 (click on Abstract)

https://www.google.com/patents/US397...ed=0CFMQ6AEwBA

Please at least browse them. If you have questions, ask and I will try to
answer them (though I don't have detailed knowledge of every aspect of
matrixed surround).