Leon

Default OT - middle ages?

"Fly-by-Night CC" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"Leon" wrote:

In this case, you have to fight fire with fire if the other side does

not
abide by the rules. The enemy brought all this on upon them selves.

They
thought they could hide behind the Geneva convention but not abide by

the
Geneva convention. Can't have you cake and eat it.

I disagree Leon. Lowering our own standards will not further our cause.

It's great that we can disagree. I wish we could have higher standards but
this is a different kind of enemy. They go after civilians. War is war and
you simply do not want to be on the loosing end. If the enemy understood
diplomacy we would not be at war.

To parallel past woodworking conversations, consider Delta's woes. To
compete with lesser quality imports they apparently lowered their own
quality standards in order to compete against this perceived (import)
threat and in the process still lost market since a segment of the
consumers valued quality over price.

I think the problem here is that way too many in the U.S. feel that they
have a right to things that perhaps do not have a right to have. Delta, and
I am sure the labor union that its workers belong to are both to blame.
Call me a bit cold hearted but the workers manufacturing the Unisaw and
other products here in the US are over paid plain and simple. Delta could
probably compete with a great product if it was not strangled with
overpaying its workers. While the workers probably have been loyal and know
their craft well, Delta has deminishing returns on its investment of
employees. Simply put, Delta could compete and build a better product, if
it could pay the employees what they are "really" worth. Lets get real
here. These tools are way behind the technology curve when it comes to
needing "know how" to manufacture them. The simple solution here is to
simply pay the workers what they are really worth so that Delta can compete
or Tax the hell out of the imports like the import automobiles are taxed.

The US needs to be the leader in human rights and conforming to
conventions and treaties - if one doesn't fit current times then take
the high road to change the agreements while still abiding by the rules
currently in place. An eye for an eye only makes the government look as
brutal and uncivilized as the perpetrators.

Again I totally agree, but I would rather win the war that has been declared
against us rather than loose because we were the only ones following the
rules.