Bay Area Dave

Default Maximum rip width for 3/4" red oak

I like your analogy to a bowling alley! Perhaps he should
leave the spots off when he builds his bookshelf. oh yeah,
and omit the foul line.

"The first 12 ft of all wooden lanes is made of maple, the
next 46 feet is made of pine and the pin deck is made of
maple" - Ruth Midgley, The Rule Book.

cheers!

dave

Swingman wrote:

"heyscott" wrote in message

My question is whether this is good advice. Do I really need to rip
all my wood down like this, or can I join two 6" pieces if I want to?

Future stability will often depend upon how the wood was sawn from the log,
but in most instances 6" widths would not be a problem at all if the wood is
properly dried. Depending upon the grain, random widths will often look
better in wide glueups ... less like a bowling alley or hardwood floor.
Experiment and let your taste be your guide.