Posted to sci.electronics.repair
micky micky is offline

Default A Sony' CRTs color is screwed up.

On Sun, 2 Jun 2013 11:19:33 +1000, "Phil Allison"
wrote:

"Smarty"

Sounds like a purity problem. Start by degaussing it.

A purity problem would NOT have black and white looking ok as reported in
the original post nor would it result in explicit color replacements as
reported.

** The set is a 19 inch Sony - so it is a Trinitron type.

Yes, Trinitron. I should have said that. Maybe even 25 years old.
I got it used.

I suspect the behaviour is typical of Triniton with a magnetised aperture
grille. The degaussing thermistor may have failed in the set and at the
instant of failure left with a parting blow by magnetising the grille.

The OP can check for this by noting if the usual switch on " bong" noise
still happens.

I have heard the bong sound somewhere, but don't remember heearing it
with this TV. At any rate, I didn't hear the bong when I turned it on
an hour ago, but I wasn't listening for it. I have to go upstairs
again.

He can also bring a magnet near ( not touching) the screen and see if that
tends to fix various areas.

No, it didn't. I used a medium sized magnet. 1" by 5/8" by
3/8"thick and parenthesis-shaped. I think it was one of three magnets
from a picture tube yoke, I guess a color yoke.

It had no effect on black areas and white areas of the screen, but on
other areas, it would drag a yellow ring along with it when I held the
magnet an inch from the screen and moved it around. Yellow is not a
common color on the evening news, so I don't think it fixed anything.

Does all this mean it's not the degaussing circuit?

I put a listing on Freecycle, but to maximize responses, I said I
would "list it again in a week or email the donor". This time I got a
nice email saying my heart was in the right place, but I couldn't
mention anything hinting at giving it back to the guy who gave it to
me.

(This is the third time I've tried to borrow something. One of the
other two times, the moderator permitted it, and the other time he
just refused it, without the compliment and without coaching me on how
to get around it. One time was the metal detector (to try to find
the corner of my property) and I forget what the other thing was.)

Sounds like a color demodulation problem.

** Not likely.

... Phil