Posted to sci.electronics.repair
John-Del John-Del is offline

Default A Sony' CRTs color is screwed up.

On Monday, June 3, 2013 5:35:29 PM UTC-4, micky wrote:

Thank you all. I've read all the posts as of last night, and I also

like the idea of degaussing and of using a magnet to see what happens.

Don't use magnets. There is no reason to try. A strong enough magnet will warp or snap a support in a Trinitron, or at the very least, magnetize one of the mounting brackets which will require repeated degaussing.

As far as your salvaged degauss coil, they use AC. In the TV, it's hit with (generally) 85 VAC* and decays rapidly as the thermistors heat.

*based on 120VAC input.

If you have a variac, wire a plug to the coil and plug it in. Set the variac for 50 to 60 VAC, plug your coil in and wave it around the front of the TV in a circular motion getting within 6" or so, then, continuing the motion, slowly back away from the TV until you get to a few feet away.