Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Smarty Smarty is offline

Default Sony SL-2700 Betamax

On 6/3/2013 4:49 PM, William Sommerwerck wrote:
"Cydrome Leader" wrote in message ...
William Sommerwerck wrote:
"Cydrome Leader" wrote in message ...

I've always wondered what that was. I seem to think I've seen that on
laserdiscs, and just checked mine, but none have it, not that I'd
be able
to play it back correctly anyways.

The explanation given was almost completely incorrect.

The explanation for SQ was wrong?

Yes. Smarty's explanation is based on a misunderstanding of the
Scheiber patents (which I looked at last night). And while we're at
it, neither SQ nor QS is derived from nor dependent on the Scheiber
patents.

You Sir are either an obnoxious troll or a deliberate liar, or perhaps
both. You certainly lack technical grounds for your conclusions. And I
am only impressed with your ability in such matters to take 2 and 2 and
come up with 2, not only in quad sound discussions but in others I have
now begun to witness in the area of CRT physics.

I have no idea who you are or what your credentials are, but you
certainly lack technical prowess in the specific areas I am familiar
which we have mutually discussed in this forum.

Peter Scheiber was indeed at the genesis of SQ, as much to provoke a
patent dispute with CBS as anything else. He was a musician who played
lovely bassoon and his career had essentially nothing to do with
engineering, despite a great business acumen and an ability to make
claims which Ben Bauer and others including Ray Dolby ultimately
acquiesced to, mostly to avoid protracted legal costs and battles. I
attended and supported some of this activity personally, and know the
truth, regardless of your claimed understanding.

I know of what I speak. And you are a contemptible person.

The link below is not entirely accurate but the referenced paragraph
which I repeat below is correct:

http://quadraphonicaudio.wordpress.c...s-of-quad-bob/

"Peter Scheiber “invented” SQ encoding…..which he presented at the 1969
AES. Columbia bought his patent and rights and then Ben Bauer of
Columbia Labs “named” it “SQ” and took over the development of SQ
quadraphonic sound."