Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Smarty Smarty is offline

Default A Sony' CRTs color is screwed up.

On 6/2/2013 11:07 PM, William Sommerwerck wrote:
I would also dispute that a black and white transmission
would not look ok if it was a purity problem.

I've been trying to reason this through. The best I can come up with
is this...

Whether purity is good or bad, the electron beams have to land
/somewhere/. In a B&W image, it might not matter much if red winds up
on blue, blue on green, and green on red. The result will be
/something/ approximating a shade of gray.

Yes, but, at least conceptually, the relative proportion of the R,G,B
components at any (and all) landings either are correct, in which case
white (and varying shades of gray) are made, or they are not in the
right proportion, and the resulting color is a pastel.

I would have guessed that a magnetized and thus misaligned set of
landings would not only make green areas appear blue, peripheral areas
to appear red, etc. (such as the form of the original complaint) rather
than maintain uniform white proportions across the CRT. Here is where my
confusion remains, but I simply accept the statements of others here who
actually repair tvs that such is indeed not the case.