Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Mac Davis Mac Davis is offline

Default Bandsaw abuse!

On Thu, 30 May 2013 23:31:28 -0700, "coffelt2"
wrote:

If the only or best choice you have is the bandsaw, go for it...
Basic safty gets really important now, so all the usual stuff,
especially eye protection...

If you can get a metal cutting blade, do it... Might not cut any
beter, but it won't mess up your normal blades...

I cut aluminum, brass and thin sheet metal on my chop saw, using a HF
carbide blade and clamps...
I've used the table saw, but feel safer on the chop saw...

Last thing is to try to remove all of the filings from the areas that
you're running wood through and the places that are supposed to
slide/roll on the blade..

I coveted a bandsaw for years, finally earned a Grizzly 14" and was so
proud.
It ripped, scrolled and resawed like a Bandit! Now turning to a little hobby
metal work, I trimmed up a little bit of brass plate, using a wider and
coarser
blade. Now, Aluminum plate and bar stock are needing a little whittling.
What do you think, guys? Am I going to ruin my beautiful Grizzly, or is
it
just one of those infrequent uses that make life beautiful?

Old chief Lynn