Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default A Sony' CRTs color is screwed up.

"Phil Allison" wrote in message

"Smarty"
"Phil Allison"
"Smarty"

** The set is a 19 inch Sony - so it is a Trinitron type.

I suspect the behaviour is typical of Triniton with a magnetised
aperture
grille. The degaussing thermistor may have failed in the set and at the
instant of failure left with a parting blow by magnetising the grille.

The OP can check for this by noting if the usual switch on " bong"
noise
still happens.

He can also bring a magnet near ( not touching) the screen and see if
that
tends to fix various areas.

This is altogether surprising to me, but then again I virtually never did
TV repair.

** I did - in the B&W days in Australia, circa 1972 and onto to 1976.

But it never grabbed me.

I have a bit of trouble understanding why a magnetized shadow mask or
aperture grill would still allow a black and white image to be correctly
displayed. If beam alignment were 'spoiled' by residual magnetic
contamination of the CRT near the faceplate or if the purity rings were
not doing their job, then the outcome should be color blotches regardless
of whether chroma saturation is absent or present. I hope this specific
problem is eventually solved so I can hear the actual cause of the
problem. This old dog loves to learn new tricks !

** Once, I was optimistic enough to buy an "re-conditioned" ( =
re-gunned ) 26 inch colour tube for my own TV. It was a regular, three
stripe, full convergence, colour Toshiba CRT with removable yoke dating
from the early 1970s.

The tube supplier wanted the old tube back so I had to have it out of the
set and ready - the exchange took place around 11AM. I fitted the tube
that afternoon and after a heck of a lot of work was able to watch my
favourite TV programs the same evening.

Doing a full convergence "ab initio" on an aging and rather heavy TV set
is not for the faint hearted - but the set served me damn well for
another 10 years.

Interesting that electron guns cathodes ( particularly the red one ) wear
out long before phosphors on the tube face are history.

.... Phil

Perversely, I actually enjoyed doing a full convergence. I must have changed
hundreds of colour tubes over the years that I was in the trade, and on all
of the models that we (as a national rental outfit) supplied to our
customers, I was able to change a tube from back off to back on and writing
up the paperwork, in no more than 40 minutes. Once you had the procedure
'down pat' for a model, it was generally a very straightforward job,
although I guess that there was a bit of an 'art' to it. I always found
doing a good job of converging a new CRT, was an immensely satisfying
feeling ...

Arfa