Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joe Gandalf Joe Gandalf is offline

Default Repairing a broken magnesium mower deck

Well, I am unable to find any new Lawn Boy 2-cycle mowers. Every
4-stroke mower I have owned weighs a great deal more than this old
machine. Since we end up picking it up to mow raised areas, weight is
important enough to make this a "must repair". Spending the money for
a new deck is not in the picture, either.

You are right about her being a keeper, so if she says this mower need
to be fixed, well...

We also have a Wheel Horse, but need the pusher for tight spots. OTOH,
we are looking into getting a ZTR to replace the Horse. I tried to
talk her into letting me use the finish mower I have for my 4WD
Mitsubishi, but she won't let that beast anywhere on her lawn -
something about ag tires and a heavy machine, whine.

This Lawn Boy is a 1975 model, BTW. They don't make 'em like that
anymore!

Joe

On Sun, 02 Jun 2013 12:41:06 -0700, "Bruce L. Bergman (munged human
readable)" wrote:

On Sun, 02 Jun 2013 12:19:56 -0700, "Bruce L. Bergman (munged human
readable)" wrote:

On Sun, 02 Jun 2013 14:09:16 -0400, Joe Gandalf
wrote:

My wife loves her old Lawn Boy push mower; it's very lightweight (esp.
since I removed all the Rube Goldberg self-propelled mechanism) and
easy to start - still! However, the magnesium deck has developed a
crack that runs across the front of the discharge chute. I was going
to bolt a metal plate across the crack as a repair, but it would be a
really sloppy patch.

1. Call LawnBoy (or get on the Interwebs) and see if you can get a
new deck casting, and move the motor and all the other parts over.

https://www.shoplawnboy.com/Comergen...ineModelLookup

1A. But first, do a financial study - the replacement deck part might
cost you more than a brand new mower, and you get a zero-hour engine,
new blade, etc. for that price.

The MSRP for the Manual Push model is $259, and if you can't beat that
price by quite a bit you aren't trying very hard.

I just did a random search for a deck from a 1996 model 10310, and
they are available as repair parts - Over $310, not counting taxes and
shipping. And since a new mower street price will be about $200...

Dig a hole, Say Kadish, have a quiet mourning period, and go get her a
new mower already. If she's willing to mow the lawn for you she's
already a Keeper, dammit!! Stop griping and spend the money!

Buy her a Rider, even. Or a little Tractor with a mower deck.

-- Bruce --