Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Smarty Smarty is offline

Default A Sony' CRTs color is screwed up.

On 6/2/2013 2:14 PM, John-Del wrote:

Perhaps your experience is with the old delta gun arrangement, which were prone to more purity error and more severe error. But I can tell you that with modern in line arrangements (Sony being no exception), bad purity is not always obvious in black and white pictures.

The
other, even more confusing original post issue was the non stationary

nature of the color shifts, and the fact they were reported as moving

with the displayed image, again evidence that the problem was not a

purity problem.

I reread the OP's post several times, and don't see what you mean by non stationary color shift. From what I read, the purity error was static on the screen. I'm not a betting man, but I'd bet that if the OP degausses the TV, the problem will go away.

Thanks John for the further clarifications. My experiences in this
regard are so very limited that the only cases I have seen cause static,
noticeable blotches, visible in black and white at least as much so as
in color. They also do not agree with the OP comment: "As a tv show
progresses, there seems to be less red", suggestion that the color error
was not a static problem which (again in my very limited experience) is
not the way a magnetic bias displays itself.

For the very few situations I have personally dealt with where
degaussing ***was*** the issue, such as after building a Heathkit from
parts, or moving a TV from one room to another, the purity issue
manifested itself the same, namely, static, highly visible blotches,
both in the color and black and white displays. The black and white
impurity effect, if anything, was much more obvious, owing to the
masking and obscuring of color errors in a highly colorful program.
(Same comment regarding convergence errors or for that matter most errors.)

I entirely concede that this may be totally a color purity problem
caused by magnetizing, and sincerely thank you and the group for
enlightening me in this regard.