Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default A Sony' CRTs color is screwed up.

John-Del wrote:

On Sunday, June 2, 2013 1:15:58 PM UTC-4, Smarty wrote:

I have not dealt at all with magnetized Trinitrons / aperture grills,

and only have very limited experience with magnetized conventional CRTs

but purity problems certainly were visible in the black and white images

of those needing degaussing. It did not take moving color images to

suggest purity / magnetization nor did it take careful inspection.

Perhaps your experience is with the old delta gun arrangement, which were prone to more purity error and more severe error. But I can tell you that with modern in line arrangements (Sony being no exception), bad purity is not always obvious in black and white pictures.

You may not believe this, but some TV stations continued to use Delta
gun CRTs for their master monitor, and Trinitron for all of their other
monitors. The 'delta' master monitor was a little over $7,000 in 1988
for the station I worked at. The two new Trinitrons were $1,700 each.