Posted to uk.d-i-y
polygonum polygonum is offline

Default Fear of radiation worse than radiation...

On 02/06/2013 06:24, harry wrote:
As usual you are full of crap as always. .The mercury from CFLs can
be recovered and reused and will always be useful.
The important thing is that defunct CFLs are disposed of properly Ie
in the recycle centre not just chucked away.

Given their fragility, actually removing them from their lamp-holders,
storing them and transporting them to such a recycling point is full of
opportunities to release the mercury.

Am also wondering what will always be useful about mercury? We seem to
have moved away from its use for thermometers, sphygmomanometers,
electric switches, and anything else that could allow exposure of the
public. There appears to be a wholesale move towards LED lighting
leaving both CFLs and conventional fluorescent with a probably finite
future. Dental amalgam has been increasingly rejected both by patients
and by various authorities. So we still use it as Thiomersal. There are
still a few niche uses. But looks to me as if we are heading for a lake
of unwanted, unusable mercury that will nonetheless need to be safely
stored.

--
Rod