Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] hrhofann@sbcglobal.net is offline

Default A Sony' CRTs color is screwed up.

On Jun 1, 8:19*pm, "Phil Allison" wrote:
"Smarty"

Sounds like a purity problem. Start by degaussing it.

A purity problem would NOT have black and white looking ok as reported in
the original post nor would it result in explicit color replacements as
reported.

** The set is a 19 inch Sony *- so it is a Trinitron type.

I suspect the behaviour is typical of Triniton with a magnetised aperture
grille. The degaussing thermistor may have failed in the set and at the
instant of failure left with a parting blow by magnetising the grille.

The OP can check for this by noting if the usual switch on " bong" noise
still happens.

He can also bring a magnet near ( not touching) the screen and see if that
tends to fix various areas.

Sounds like a color demodulation problem.

** Not likely.

... * Phil

What Phil says. I did color tv repair for 20+ years, and it is
amazing what magnetization can do. If there was a lightning storm
while you were gone, that would explain a lot.