Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] hrhofmann@sbcglobal.net is offline

Default Sealing marble tiles on fireplace?

On Jun 1, 12:29*am, nestork wrote:
;3071534 Wrote:

Are yuou saying the wall lining of the firepit itself is marble tiles??

No, I'm sure he means that the front facade of the brick fireplace was
tiled with marble to make it look nicer.

We know from Roman historians that near the end of the Roman Empire,
Roman citizens tore the marble off the walls of the Colloseum and burned
it in fires to make lime for making cement. *So, marble simply can't
take the heat of a flame directly on it's surface without breaking down
into calcium oxide and I expect any tile setter working on fireplaces
would know that.

--
nestork

That's what I was thinking, but the OP description was rather lacking
in specitivity.