Posted to sci.electronics.repair
micky micky is offline

Default A Sony' CRTs color is screwed up.

I have a Sony 19" desktop tv, about 20 years old, which gave a perfect
picture since I got it 10 years ago, until I went on vacation 10 days
ago. I was gone for 8 days and when I got back the picture was weird.

There are no ghosts but the colors are screwed up. OTOH a picture
transmitted in black and white is pretty good, still black and white.

But with a color picture, in some parts of the screen at least, the
blue has become pure green and the red has become pure blue.

A medium blue background has become all green except for a 2" red
circle on the outer parts of the screen, and blue at the corners.
Despite this, as a tv show progresses, there seems to be less red than
normal, mostly some pink, and skin tones are all wrong. Probably
everything is wrong.

I was a moderately successful amateur repairman in the days of tubes,
and I did some other repairs besides just changing tubes, but tv's
have gotten a lot more complicated. Any chance I can fix this?

Even if I can't, I'm curious what sort ol failure causes these
symptoms?

And would I have been better off leaving the tv on for 8 days, or
putting it on a timer, than letting it sit that long. It seems to
me that a lot of tvs and vcrs have failed when not used for months.

Thanks.