Posted to uk.d-i-y
polygonum polygonum is offline

Default Fear of radiation worse than radiation...

On 01/06/2013 17:09, Jo Stein wrote:
On 01.06.2013 17:29, polygonum wrote:

And as I have pointed out before, lower doses might be worse than
slightly higher ones. This has been one of the lessons of radio-active
iodine ablation of thyroid glands. Never as simple as it first seems.

It is very simple. A dose of 7 sievert during 30 days will kill 50% of
rats. A dose of 8 sievert will kill all the rats. When the dose is 3.5
sievert more than 99% of the rats are still alive.

Some people study theology. They get a job as a priest with salary from
the government. If the priest one day discover that there is no God, he
may have a problem. I think he solves the problem by continuing his job
as a priest.

Some people study environmental physics. They get a job in a radiation
protection agency with their salary paid by the government. One day they
discover that the LNT theory is wrong. I think they continue their
job and do not talk loud about their new discovery.

It is not so very simple. In the case of RAI attempts to reduce the dose
to the absolute minimum have been associated with increased harm to the
patients.

"Properly administered, radioactive iodine remains an ideal form of
treatment for Graves disease in the pediatric population. Because of
the increased risk of thyroid cancer associated with low-dose thyroid
irradiation in children, larger, rather than smaller, doses of 131I
should be given."

http://jcem.endojournals.org/content/92/3/797.long

--
Rod