Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.food.cooking
Dan Espen[_2_] Dan Espen[_2_] is offline

Default Need to convince the wife that it's crud on her countertop (not grout)

Danny D writes:

On Fri, 31 May 2013 09:20:49 -0400, Dan Espen wrote:

Broken legs heal. That's not a disability.

Agreed.

However, when I went to DMV, they said I could move to the front
of the line simply because I was on crutches. I refused, saying
I could wait in line just as long as anyone else, as it was only
fair to the people ahead of me.

Anecdotes are not data.

I agreed with that and was very clear that my only statistics
(since I haven't researched the subject) are that almost 100%
of the retirees from a certain railroad for a certain year
were (and many still are) obtaining disability benefits.

I have (and said I had) very little experience with disabled
people, perhaps because my profession wasn't one which required
anything more than a working brain and fingers that can type.

You don't need to have a disabled person in the car
to use the plates.

I don't disagree one bit.

I had stated that, in other words; so I fully agree with you.

Plus, not all disabilities are overtly visible.

In addition, the drivers can be picking up disabled people who
are not yet in the vehicle, and for that, it's helpful to have
a convenient parking spot.

I just think there is fraud & corruption in government, and the
LIRR statistics show me that, in some instances, it's immense;
so for someone to intimate that I'm fraudulently retired on
disability is to cause an affront to my very soul.

Sort of quasi-government. Originally private, then "bailed out"
by New York State.

I apologize for reacting to that comment; it was in a moment of
weakness where I felt I needed to defend myself. Mea culpa.

Thanks for showing some class.
You've restored my faith in you.

--
Dan Espen