patriarch

Default Risk Management/Shop Safety and Advice (long)

(Robert Bonomi) wrote in
rvers.com:

snips of hard earned truth
First, you learn the basics.
Next, you learn to 'generalize' -- and apply specific knowledge to a
broader
set of situations.
Eventually, you learn how to 'recognize special-case exceptions'.

'Generalizing' is a basic learned skill -- but nobody can teach you
_how_ to do it; you have to figure out 'how to do it' for yourself, by
being confronted with lots and *lots* of specific cases, and then
being required to apply 'whatever it is' to other 'similar' cases.
The vast majority of formal schooling is devoted to this particular
point -- even though it is rarely, if ever, explicitly stated that
that is what they are teaching. grin

'Special case exceptions' is where life gets *messy*. And you
discover that a lot of the things you thought were 'always so' are
_not_ always so.

When we have learned the true principles which govern an activity, then it
is those principles, along with our experience, which allow us to attempt
to make correct decisions in the *messy bits* of life.

We make good decisions when we have learned to recognize sufficient true
principles, learned to trust the correct experts, and/or, more frequently,
are plain fortunate in our choices.

Parenting, teaching and growing up in any endeavor, is teaching correct
principles. Because we won't, can't, shouldn't, be there to advise on all
of the decisions.

Patriarch,
still learning through hard experience.

And convinced of, and thankful for, the squad of guardian angels assigned
to me and mine.