Posted to alt.home.repair
harry harry is offline

Default 3/4 or 1" PEX??

On May 29, 7:51*pm, mike wrote:
I'm replacing 44' of buried 3/4 galvanized water pipe to the water meter
at the sidewalk.
Looks like PEX is the way to go.
But the inside diameter of 3/4" galvanized is about the
same as 1" PEX.
1" is quite a bit more expensive, but it's a small
part of the total cost.

People at hardware stores say, "just use 3/4", it'll be fine."
Comment on that???

Then there's the problem of having a tiny variety of PEX
"sharkbite" type fittings. *They don't even carry a 1" *female to
PEX fitting at the Big Box stores.
I'm also concerned about the stiffness of the 1" making it harder
to install and easier for movement in the earth, etc. to pull it out
of the fitting.

Are the sharkbite fittings strong enough to bury? *They say they are,
but are they really?
Seems like
serious potential problem to me. *The fitting at the meter is a straight
shot and visible in the meter box.
The one at the house has to go down to get to 24". *Any compaction of the
soil below the pipe could allow tremendous pressure pulling the pipe
out of the connector.

Am I worrying too much?
Techniques for mitigating that problem?

Are the clamp-type fittings better? *I hate to buy a tool to
make two crimps of the circular stuff, but the ones with the
protrusion that you squeeze should be easy enough.

Suggestions?

Are there different brands/types of PEX? *Can I just go down
to Home Depot and buy some? *Or do I have to worry about vendors
and grades and types and and and?

Suggestions?

Thanks, mikeAds not by this site

As to size, all depends on your water pressure so no-one can say.
3/4" is normally big enough unless your water pressure is
very low.
Also the plastic pipe doesn't crud up like steel.
If the ground is soft, the normal practice is to lay the pipe wavy
from one side of the trench to the other. Also backfill the trench
with 6" of sand around the pipe.
So there is some"slack" to take up if the ground moves.