Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 3/4 or 1" PEX??

On May 29, 6:10*pm, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On Wed, 29 May 2013 11:51:17 -0700, mike wrote:
I'm replacing 44' of buried 3/4 galvanized water pipe to the water meter
at the sidewalk.
Looks like PEX is the way to go.
But the inside diameter of 3/4" galvanized is about the
same as 1" PEX.
1" is quite a bit more expensive, but it's a small
part of the total cost.

People at hardware stores say, "just use 3/4", it'll be fine."
Comment on that???

Then there's the problem of having a tiny variety of PEX
"sharkbite" type fittings. *They don't even carry a 1" *female to
PEX fitting at the Big Box stores.

What size are you connecting to? *If it is 1", I'd go with 1", but if
it is already 3/4" there is not gain on using the 1" downstream.

I agree there probably isn't much gain, but even if he has
a 3/4 reduction at the street, there will still be less pressure
drop with a long line of 1" than with 3/4". Probably not
enough that it offers any benefit. I'd be very surprised if
a 1" connection isn't available at the street.

If it were me, I'd forget about PEX, the tools, etc. Get
1" poly and use barb fittings. That is what has been used
here to connect to municipal water systems for decades
now. Don't know of any problems with it. And it's the
least expensive.

Also, when considering 1" vs 3/4", some things that could
make a big differene:

lawn sprinkler system runnning off it?
water use outside the house off a wide open spigot?

things like that you will see a big difference.