Photo

Default What wood for a cutting board

As many as 81 million cases of food-born illnesses occur in the United
States each year, and most of these gut-wrenching infections can be traced
to the home kitchen. Any surface -- even stainless steel pans, knives,
sinks, food-processor blades, and mixing bowls --- can harbor nasty
microbes. Fortunately, kitchen germs can usually be killed by a good
scrubbing with hot water and soap, or a turn in the dishwasher, and by
keeping all surfaces clean and dry. A good procedure for disinfecting both
wood and plastic cutting boards, as well as other surfaces and utensils, is
to spray them first with a mist of vinegar, then with a mist of hydrogen
peroxide. This combo kills bacteria on meat and produce, too, without
hurting the food.

"D. J. Dorn" wrote in message
I know that Maple is the preferred wood but why? I have an abundance of
Oak, is there any reason that I can't use that. For finishing, I realize
that Mineral Sprits is the only proper finish as it's meant to come in
contact with food, but I don't want to use Maple unless I have to.

Don