Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Klaatu Klaatu is offline

Default Shopping for a receiver

"William Sommerwerck" wrote in message
"Phil Allison" wrote in message ...
"William Sommer****** ****wit TROLL"

The sound quality on the vast majority of DVDs, TV programs
and movies on TV is excellent.

A matter of opinion.

** As it can only ever be.
But neither is it an isolated or uninformed one.

It is. See below.

CDs -- including classical CDs -- don't have anywhere
near the sound quality the medium is capable of.

** So ****ing what ?
CDs are capable of a much higher technical performance than is
NEEDED for the reproduction of music.

You're really displaying your ignorance.

Ever made live recordings? Of course not.

The sound of most CDs is a travesty of live sound. In fact, it is often so
poor that one can make a more-natural-sounding recording with a Compact
Cassette deck. (I know, because I've done it.)

I have to agree completely William. Natural sounding analog recordings are
why I still use an old S-VHS Zenith HiFi vcr with defeatable level control
and individual left/right gain controls to make great sounding recordings of
local bands. Good frequency response, no tape hiss, and 2 hour recording on
one tape. Analog audio to digital and back to analog has always sounded
cold, brittle and harsh to me. The VHS HiFi recordings sound better (to me)
than compact cassette, even using a dbx II compander. Dolby sucks. The old
JVC ANRS system worked well, but only on metal cassette tape. And as we all
know, high grade 1/4" reel to reel tape is impossible to find. YMMV.