Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What would make a good insulating material for a water bed?

On May 28, 10:32*am, Dan Espen wrote:
Metspitzer writes:
What would make a good insulating material for a water bed?

My niece has a water bed. *The heater from the water bed makes her
room hotter than the rest of the house. *I suggested that she take a
blanket and put it under the fitted sheet and try to turn the heater
down a few degrees. *She says that even with the blanket, if she turns
the heater down any the bed is too cold.

Turning down the heater is no good.
Even slightly too cool sucks body heat.
A single blanket under the sheet won't make enough difference.
I'm not sure how many you'd need to stop the cold transfer.
I'd suspect somewhere around 5 or 10.

Cover the bed with a quilt and live with the room heat.
All the years we used a water bed I never noticed the room heat.

--
Dan Espen

+1

Especially the part about the water bed making the room
heat up. I had one years ago and never saw any such
effect. The heater is small, a few hundred watts when it's
on, and the water gets heated to what? 90F or so?