Posted to alt.home.repair
TomR[_3_] TomR[_3_] is offline

Default Peel-and-stick tiles over same

Y'all Gibbons wrote:
"TomR" wrote in message
I have a kitchen floor that now has vinyl peel-and-stick 12"x12"
tiles on the floor. The tile surfaces are worn in some areas which
makes it look bad, but the tiles are all solidly in place with none
of them coming up at the corners or seams, etc. I am thinking about
just putting new vinyl peel-and-stick tiles down over the existing
floor -- mostly because I am looking for a cheap and quick fix. I
know that is not the best way to do the floor, but if it will work,
that would be good enough for what I need right now.

One question I have is, "will the new peel-and-stick tiles stick
well enough to the original ones? Of course, I will clean the floor
first to make sure there is no wax or other coating on the original
floor before applying the new peel-and-stick tiles. I don't live at
the property, so I don't know if the occupants may have used any
kind of wax or floor cleaner that would leave any residual coating,
which is why I need to clean it first.

Would it help if I also did a very quick roughening of the surface
with sandpaper first, or would I probably be better off not doing
that and just leaving the surface smooth?

And, when putting the new tiles down, I have the option of either
just laying the new tiles exactly where the old tiles are placed, or
I could offset the new tiles by 6 inches in both directions so the
edges of the new tiles would be lined up with the edges of the
underlying old tiles. Any thoughts on which of these two options
would be best?

Thanks.

I put down new vinyl tiles in a bathroom on top of the old vinyl
tiles 20 years ago in this house and no problems yet. Just clean it
good, sand down raised places.

Good to know. Thanks.