Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default What would make a good insulating material for a water bed?

gregz wrote:
"Bob F" wrote:
Metspitzer wrote:
What would make a good insulating material for a water bed?

My niece has a water bed. The heater from the water bed makes her
room hotter than the rest of the house. I suggested that she take a
blanket and put it under the fitted sheet and try to turn the heater
down a few degrees. She says that even with the blanket, if she
turns the heater down any the bed is too cold.

Try sheets of foam. You can probably get 4x8 sheets of 1/2" or 1/4"
white styrofoam at the hardware store or building supply store. Line
the bottom and sides with that, then use a thick comforter over the
top (of her) to insulate there. She's right, turning down the temp
doesn't work. The bed just sucks the heat out of you.

With an IR thermometer you could tell what you need. I would stay
away from the white foam. The green or pink extruded will insulate
better and have stronger support.

Extruded styrene is probably hard to find in 1" thicknesses, and probably
unnecessary for this useage. There just isn't that much force. Even a bunch of
blue foam camping pads from the thrift shop might do it.