Posted to alt.home.repair
Y'all Gibbons Y'all Gibbons is offline

Default Garage door opener safety lights

"Unquestionably Confused" wrote in message .com...
On 5/28/2013 3:52 AM, OMB wrote:
Not sure what they are called, but I'm talking about the little devices
low on the garage door frame that detect when an object such as an
animal is under the door.

One of these got knocked out of alignment when something fell against
it. So now, the garage door won't close unless I hold the button down
while it closes.

I don't know how to align them so they work again. I have not been
particularly observant as to whether there is supposed to be a light
showing on both of them, or only one. Right now, there is a light only
on one side of the door frame.

There should be an AMBER LED light glowing on the sending unit
regardless of alignment.

The GREEN LED light on the receiving unit will only be glowing when the
units are in alignment.

Anyway, I'd appreciate some advice on how to align these devices. It is
a 16 foot opening, so laying a board across from one to the other is
pretty much out.

If you have the AMBER light showing, go to the other unit and just move
it around until the GREEN light comes on. Alignment is NOT that
critical. You do not need to use string, a board, laser level or
micrometers g to adjust this.

Here's a video that will help if you still need it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9TnY9U9rVU

Note that IF the "something" that fell against it happened to be a kid
ramming a bicycle into it, or somebody letting a 12 lb sledgehammer
"bump" it, the unit may be broken and need replacement. You cannot
align a unit that is toast.

I agree WITH puzzled2. You do not need TO use string or a board.