D. J. Dorn

Default What wood for a cutting board

Yes, that's correct, I knew what I meant I suspected the reason was
grain related - since finish isn't an issue, I'll pick up some Maple,
thanks.

Don

"Leon" wrote in message
m...
Maple is preferred because of its tight closed grain. Oak has more of an
open pore grain that can collect food.
Mineral Spirits for a finish? I don't think so... Maybe Mineral Oil.

"D. J. Dorn" wrote in message
I know that Maple is the preferred wood but why? I have an abundance of
Oak, is there any reason that I can't use that. For finishing, I

realize
that Mineral Sprits is the only proper finish as it's meant to come in
contact with food, but I don't want to use Maple unless I have to.

Don