Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Phoena Phoena is offline

Default Shopping for a receiver

On 05/27/2013 07:18 PM, root wrote:
Jeff wrote:
On Mon, 27 May 2013 16:36:25 +0000 (UTC),
wrote:

It is harder and harder for me to understand speech on TV audio.
I would like to be able to insert an equalizer into the audio
playback.

You might consider watching TV on your computah. Buy an ATSC tuner
card or USB dongle for the receiver part. The audio can be processed
by the computer using the usual sound card software, which generally
includes an equalizer.

I am watching TV on the computer, the TV is acting as a monitor only.
The hdmi signal goes to the receiver and thence to the TV.

I have a workaround for problem sources: I am using mplayer (linux)
for a player and I can specify the audio out to go either through
the sound card or through the video card via hdmi. The sound card
connects to the receiver through an equalizer. For problem sources
I just send the sound through the sound card as you suggest. I
have to send the video directly to a different input on the TV.
For that I have ordered an hdmi splitter from Monoprice.

Thanks for responding.

What you can't just reassign an unused input on the receiver
to the output of the equalizer. Not every mother****er outputs audio on
HDMI and still must use either analog outputs or coaxial or optical.
Particularly when you are doing a DVI to HDMI conversion. For example
you can reassign the tape deck input to whatever HDMI input the video
card is connected to, because in my opinion if you are still using
cassette tapes in 2013 then you must have been raped by a Catholic
priest as a child.

I've seen plenty of receivers that have this functionality and the TV I
had allowed you to reassign the analog audio input from any composite,
S-Video or component input to one of the HDMI inputs of your choice.
This TV also had alalog output which could have also been fed into said
qualizer. That is, the TV i had before I bashed it to pieces.