Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

Default Peel-and-stick tiles over same

wrote in message
On May 27, 10:30 am, "TomR" wrote:
I have a kitchen floor that now has vinyl peel-and-stick 12"x12" tiles on
the floor. The tile surfaces are worn in some areas which makes it look
bad, but the tiles are all solidly in place with none of them coming up
at
the corners or seams, etc. I am thinking about just putting new vinyl
peel-and-stick tiles down over the existing floor -- mostly because I am
looking for a cheap and quick fix. I know that is not the best way to do
the floor, but if it will work, that would be good enough for what I need
right now.

One question I have is, "will the new peel-and-stick tiles stick well
enough
to the original ones? Of course, I will clean the floor first to make
sure
there is no wax or other coating on the original floor before applying
the
new peel-and-stick tiles. I don't live at the property, so I don't know
if
the occupants may have used any kind of wax or floor cleaner that would
leave any residual coating, which is why I need to clean it first.

Would it help if I also did a very quick roughening of the surface with
sandpaper first, or would I probably be better off not doing that and
just
leaving the surface smooth?

And, when putting the new tiles down, I have the option of either just
laying the new tiles exactly where the old tiles are placed, or I could
offset the new tiles by 6 inches in both directions so the edges of the
new
tiles would be lined up with the edges of the underlying old tiles. Any
thoughts on which of these two options would be best?

Thanks.

First thought is what does it say on the installation instructions
or the manufacturers website? I would think that if the existing
tiles
are all sticking OK that washing it with a product designed to remove
wax would suffice. I would opt for installing them so the new joints
don't line up with the old.

Yes, check the manufacturer's website. Some make an adhesive compound that
you spread on the floor first, let it dry to a tacky finish, then apply your
self stick tiles. It is almost like using regular tiles with adhesive, but
you put a thin layer on the floor and you don't install the tiles until it
is dry and tacky. The adhesive on the back of the tile will bond with the
tacky material on the floor and it is like trying to get two pieces of duct
tape stuck together sticky side to sticky side. This way they won't lift. As
said earlier, don't let the seams of the tiles align up, keep them offset by
a couple of inches.