Posted to uk.d-i-y
Phil L Phil L is offline

Default Quickest way to burn logs, grass & branches?

Mentalguy2k8 wrote:
Spent most of the day feeding crap through a new garden shredder, all
I'm left with is a huge pile of cuttings that are too small to shred,
various halves of trees that are too big to shred, and dried
crap/grass.
I've made the executive decision to burn the f***ing lot, but can't
decide whether to buy an incinerator or just build a big heap on the
ground and torch it. There's plenty of stuff here that'll need sawing
up to fit in an incinerator, but on the other hand I don't want to
leave a big scorch mark on the grass (which is the only place to do
it with enough space around). Although I can live with it, it'll grow
back one day.
What's the expert opinion? Will it burn quicker if it's "free" rather
than in a dustbin with holes in? I just want shot of the lot now,
don't really care how, and balls to the neighbours they ought to be
at work tomorrow.

Slice the turf off a 5ft by 5ft patch and roll it up, build the fire on the
soil and burn the lot in one go, you may have to adjust the unburned
log-ends to get rid of everything.
Leave the ground to cool down for a few days, water it, then re-lay the turf