Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Bit OT, compact, low current 220/110 step down transformer?

James Waldby wrote:

On Sun, 26 May 2013 07:51:01 -0700, janders wrote:
The bulb itself simply screws into any standard light socket and
operates directly on 120v. There are no electronics whatever in the base
of the bulb. I posted a link to a place I found that sells them (though
I'd never seen them before buying this one used, they are not as rare as
I thought).

Thought hit me last night to do some searching on google.au, someone
might be making these to run directly on 220 down there. That would make
the whole voltage conversion moot. I was looking into that thinking I
had something rather unusual and a bit rare.

You probably could run two of the 120v decorative bulbs in series
on 240v, or if you know the wattage of the decorative bulb, run one
in series with an incandescent bulb of the same wattage. Of
course if either bulb burns out both of them turn off.

You can't use a neon lamp in series with an incandescent lamp. the
current is too low for the incandescent lamp, and its resistance is too
low for the neon lamp. Measure the current it draws, and calculate the
required resistance needed to double the line voltage. It isn't double
the resistance used for 120, since the voltage drop across the neon is
60 to 90 volts.