Posted to misc.consumers.house
[email protected] rlkwitches1@gmail.com is offline

Default replacing electrical switches/outlets

On Tuesday, September 8, 1998 12:30:00 PM UTC+5:30, Debbie Watson wrote:
As part of a kitchen spruce-up, I am replacing the old beige outlets with
white ones and replacing old toggle switches with rocker type. The outlets
have been no problem...but I have a question about the switches. The new ones
have a ground screw....the old ones do not. I get different answers from the
"pros" at my home improvement stores. Here are my questions:

1) In examining the wiring configuration in one switch junction box (it is a
double switch...both single pole) I see three bare copper wires twisted
together. Are all of them ground wires? And if so, how do I attach the three
wires to TWO grounding screws??

2) What are the dangers of leaving the bare wires as is, without connecting
any to the grounding screws?

I'm fairly handy, but not a pro when it comes to electrical work. I want to
make sure I'm not doing something risky, as this is something I'd like to do
in other rooms in my house, and can't afford to hire a pro to do it. Thanks
in advance for your help.

Deb

http://www.rlkswitches.com/