Doug Miller

Default What wood for a cutting board

In article , "D. J. Dorn" wrote:
I know that Maple is the preferred wood but why? I have an abundance of
Oak, is there any reason that I can't use that.

Well, it's porous. Stuff will get stuck in it.

The other consideration to bear in mind with oak is, red or white oak? Wet red
oak smells like cat urine, and will impart unpleasant flavors to anything that
you cut on it. White oak will also impart flavors, which may or may not be
desirable, depending on the food.

Having "an abundance of oak" is a poor reason for using it for a purpose to
which it is very ill-suited.

Maple is a much better choice.

For finishing, I realize
that Mineral Sprits is the only proper finish as it's meant to come in
contact with food, but I don't want to use Maple unless I have to.

Surely you mean mineral _oil_. :-)

Why don't you want to use maple? It has all the ideal characteristics needed
for a cutting board: it's hard and strong, not porous, looks nice, easy to
work, not terribly expensive, and doesn't impart flavor.

--
Regards,