nestork nestork is offline
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nestork View Post
Danny:

No. If nobody knows, then go with nitrile rubber because it's the most widely used rubber for making O-rings, and so not only will every O-ring you ever need to buy be available and in stock in nitrile rubber at any place that sells O-rings, but nitrile rubber O-rings are very much cheaper than any other kind of rubber O-ring. An O-ring that costs 12 cents in nitrile rubber will cost 2 dollars in EPDM rubber, and it's not because EPDM rubber will last 20 times as long. It's because there's 20 nitrile rubber O-rings made and sold for every EPDM rubber O-ring made and sold, and it's mass production and greater availability from competitors that brings down the cost of nitrile rubber O-rings.

Read my post in the thread by PeteCresswell entitled "Enhancing an O-ring Seal" just about 10 threads below yours. That will explain everything you need to know about O-rings.

Maybe print off that post and show it to the manager of any place that sell's O-rings in your area to get his comment.
I looked at the diagram for the pool pump you posted. In my experience, that large and small O-ring together shouldn't cost any more than $2 or $3 in nitrile at any shop that sells O-rings. The manufacturer will charge you $25 for those two O-rings as a repair "kit", but only people that are scared to buy anything but OEM repair parts would ever pay that much. Maybe just take your old O-rings down to any place that specializes in pneumatic and hydraulic seals, and they'll size the O-rings for you. EVERY O-ring meant for plumbing applications I've ever come across has been 70 durometer hardness, and so if you buy 70 durometer nitrile rubber O-rings to replace what you have, they should work fine for you.