Posted to alt.home.repair
Nate Nagel Nate Nagel is offline

Default Enhancing An O-Ring Seal?

On 05/25/2013 10:39 AM, willshak wrote:
willshak wrote:
(PeteCresswell) wrote:
I've got an el-cheapo IP camera that is taking on moisture in heavy
rains.

The body is two cylinders joined on an o-ring set into a channel.

Before I got nuts with the silicone seal, is there something more
disassembly-friendly that I can smear on the o-ring to enhance the
resistance to water penetration? My kneejerk is Vaseline - but, with
my luck, that would attack the
o-ring.

I've been using Vaseline on all my in-ground pool piping's O-rings for
years. It has never attacked the o-rings and I've never had to replace
any of them.
The pool was installed in 1986.

PS. I take apart the pool filter every Autumn and store it inside for
the Winter, then reinstall it in the late Spring.

Some kind of grease is the answer, the issue is that vaseline might be
perfectly safe for some kinds of rubber and not others, the same may be
true of silicone grease (likely one or the other will work though.)

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel